Conclusions and a compact list of requirements for deconf-spec

Christian Neumair chris at gnome-de.org
Sat Dec 10 16:31:06 EET 2005

On Sa, 2005-12-10 at 12:44 +0100, Philip Van Hoof wrote:
> Since my holiday starts, chances are high that I might work on some of
> my idea's. Including deconf-spec and it's futuristic (most of you guys
> call futuristic things "vaporware") implementation.

https://svn.cronos.be/svn/deconf/deconf-spec/trunk/src/deconf-spec.xhtml

Thanks for all your efforts!

I'd like to give you some short feedback.

You restrict the key path characters to a subset of ASCII, but say that
the basenames of keys may consist of "All characters with exception of
the slash and the space". The technical limitations of characters should
be considered also, i.e. either impose ASCII, or UTF-8-encoding.

In "Preference naming conventions", you capitalize "Boolean" but not the
other types in the ul examples.

I'd also like to point out that we need a build infrastructure suitable
for extracting translations and putting them into the generated
localized dtds, plus an installation routine. I wonder whether patching
intltool is enough, or whether we need any further special means for
ensuring that all the free software players can easily generate
translations.

--
Christian Neumair <chris at gnome-de.org>