Proposal and RFC: Introducing DAL, the "Desktop Abstraction Layer"

Marcin Krzyzanowski krzak at hakore.com
Thu Jan 13 17:33:46 EET 2005

Użytkownik John (J5) Palmieri napisał:
> On Thu, 2005-01-13 at 09:24, Marcin Krzyzanowski wrote:
>
>>Użytkownik John (J5) Palmieri napisał:
>>

>>Take a look at http://ofi.hakore.com
>>this is exactly what I've been thinking about when I did it as a proof
>>of concept with OFI.
>

> Looks like a nice project.  Have you talked with the Galago guys?  They
> are doing something similar and are listed on the freedesktop project
> page.
>
> http://galago.sourceforge.net/news/index.php

Honesty... I did OFI before I find out Galago.

IMHO there is really no additional daemon need as Galago propose.

As simple as possible interface with D-BUS is enought and I belive in
it. Developers may have objection using another one library as a depency
with another one interface and in addition oriented for GNOME which make
  thinks stright in a way of "propably work only in GNOME and need GNOME
to work", it's not a way to favorite any of envineroment.

The think is to create possibly flexible interface to play with,
everything else start work when more developers will implement it, look
at other spec. Everybody now use .desktop file because it just flexible
enought and can be implemented independently. But you know all that
stuff. :)

--
Marcin Krzyżanowski