Integrating IM applications - OFI

Olivier Goffart ogoffart at tiscalinet.be
Tue Jan 18 15:47:37 EET 2005

Le Mardi 18 Janvier 2005 13:58, Sjoerd Simons a écrit :
> On Tue, Jan 18, 2005 at 11:09:22AM +0100, Olivier Goffart wrote:
> > Le Lundi 17 Janvier 2005 21:02, Robert Wittams a écrit :
> > > The applications inform the daemon *when the status
> > > changes*. The daemon *does not query*.
> >
> > I don't think this is  good idea.
> > That will increase considerably the number of (unneeded) dbus call.
>
> Uhm, why ? You need applications to inform other applications the status
> changes some way anyway right ?

Not really.

Actually, KIMProxy / KIMIface doesn't work that way.

*) Application may request the status of a particular contact.
     That's the case of KMail which show the status of the sender of the mail.

*) Application may get a list of all available contact
    That's the case of the "Send To > Contact" Konqueror add on.

*) Application may anyway connect to a dcop signal to get status change
notification
    It's AFAIK not really used excepted in the im applet prototype
(http://webcvs.kde.org/kdenonbeta/kimproxy/applet/)

> For me having one deamon collection all the info and giving it out as the
> current status makes more sense then having every applications trying to
> judge the current status of things on his own.

The specification is there to make easy to judge current status, even on his
own.
But this will more probably be done in the client library.

The existence of KIMProxy is the prove a daemon is simply not needed.