Integrating IM applications - OFI

Will Stephenson lists at stevello.free-online.co.uk
Tue Jan 18 15:34:43 EET 2005

On Tuesday 18 Jan 2005 12:58, Sjoerd Simons wrote:
> On Tue, Jan 18, 2005 at 11:09:22AM +0100, Olivier Goffart wrote:
> > Le Lundi 17 Janvier 2005 21:02, Robert Wittams a écrit :
> > > The applications inform the daemon *when the status
> > > changes*. The daemon *does not query*.
> >
> > I don't think this is  good idea.
> > That will increase considerably the number of (unneeded) dbus call.
>
> Uhm, why ? You need applications to inform other applications the status
> changes some way anyway right ?

The way presence information is collated in KDE is that sources of presence
information (chat applications, implementing KIMIface) _do_ signal presence
changes for registered contacts.  Applications use this by instantiating a
KIMProxy object, which listens for the signals, computes the overall presence
of the contact and signals the application.  The application sees presence
changes in terms of KDE addressbook contact UIDs and a presence enum.

So in our case we do have a small glob of state on every app that uses
presence information.

Will

--
Will Stephenson