pkg-config2

Daniel Stone daniel at fooishbar.org
Sun Jan 23 03:20:36 EET 2005

On Sat, Jan 22, 2005 at 06:49:40PM -0500, Ian Reinhart Geiser wrote:
> Pkg-conf is one of the most promising tools that I have seen in a while.  It
> makes a great attempt at solving interdependencies of development packages.
> The only gripes I have had with it so far have been its lack of formal
> documentation, and the current implementation seems to lack real development
> effort behind it.

Not being funny or anything, but what development is there really to do?  Some
stuff is stagnant just because there isn't really anything to do, bar cleaning
up an M4 warning.

> Zack Rusin and I have built a completely testdriven version in C++ and have
> started on using those tests to build formal documentation of the format.  We
> have also started to build an API so that applications such at kde-config and
> other binary *-conf utilities can reuse pkg-conf metadata, dependencies and
> features without having to re-invent the wheel every time.

Personally, I would've thought it would be far better to just use pkg-config
directly (y'know you can get arbitrary variables out of it, yeah?), and be done
with *-conf, forever, and just do everything through the one standard interface.

> Interested parties should kick it around and suggest patches.  We are still
> working on Win32 support.  It build right now with mingw32, but the paths are
> still not correct.  This is alpha and should be updated later this week.

I'm honestly not entirely convinced I see the point:
	a) why have you rewritten it?
	b) why have you decided to encourage applications to use their own
	   frontends, other than going through pkg-config itself?
	c) does this version carry any other advantages over the main one?
	d) what are your plans for future development, so it never stagnates?

Daniel, quite possibly missing the point