pkg-config2

Owen Taylor otaylor at redhat.com
Sun Jan 23 07:00:11 EET 2005

On Sat, 2005-01-22 at 18:49 -0500, Ian Reinhart Geiser wrote:
> Greetings,
>
> Pkg-conf is one of the most promising tools that I have seen in a while.  It
> makes a great attempt at solving interdependencies of development packages.
> The only gripes I have had with it so far have been its lack of formal
> documentation, and the current implementation seems to lack real development
> effort behind it.
>
> Zack Rusin and I have built a completely testdriven version in C++ and have
> started on using those tests to build formal documentation of the format.  We
> have also started to build an API so that applications such at kde-config and
> other binary *-conf utilities can reuse pkg-conf metadata, dependencies and
> features without having to re-invent the wheel every time.
>
> Currently Release 1 (xnoybis)	is on our server.
> http://www.sourcextreme.com/projects/pkgconf-2/pkgconfig-0.1.0.tar.bz2
> http://www.sourcextreme.com/projects/pkgconf-2/README
>
> Interested parties should kick it around and suggest patches.  We are still
> working on Win32 support.  It build right now with mingw32, but the paths are
> still not correct.  This is alpha and should be updated later this week.

Can you expand a litle on what features that you want to see added and
your development plans? The README file there is rather short.

I don't think anybody is particularly tied to the current implementation
(it seems to work pretty well, but...) Command line and file format
compatibility is much more important.

And nowdays, C++ without extra dependencies is probably OK pretty much
anywhere. Nobody really cares about vendor compilers on legacy Unix at
this point. And a library-level API for pkg-config doesn't sound
interesting enough to me to be worth worrying about whether it is
C or C++.

(I can't argue that it's uninteresting and that it should be in C at the
same time :-)

But to convince people that your pkg-config should be the canonical
pkg-config (and competing versions of pkg-config sounds like a horrible
idea), I think a little more motivation for what future development
you are planning to do would be useful.

Regards,
						Owen