pkg-config2

Kevin Krammer kevin.krammer at gmx.at
Mon Jan 24 22:05:13 EET 2005

On Monday 24 January 2005 20:42, Sean Middleditch wrote:
> On Mon, 2005-01-24 at 20:22 +0100, Kevin Krammer wrote:
> > Maybe not at the installation stage but at the user dependent setup
> > stage. A couple of times admins/users/developers asked on KDE's mailing
> > lists and respecitve web forums for example how to install a desktop icon
> > on the user's desktop.
> > A simple script in KDE's global autostart folder can do this using
> > kde-config #!/bin/sh
> > cp /globalpath/app.desktop $(kde-config --userpath desktop)/
>
> So you have one tool doing two different jobs.  Scrap kde-config, and
> use pkg-config, for build-time stuff, and keep kde-config for dynamic
> user-configured paths like that.  No good reason that one tool has to do
> two different things.

If I am not mistaken that is why Ian and Zack have that pkgconfig API, to
build kde-config on top of pkg-config and have the kde-config "frontend" only
add dynamic stuff.

This way all static KDE values like installation directories get accessible by
the standard pkg-config tool while still allowing people and scripts to query
for joined static+dynamic values (for example a list of directories where
MIME type information might be stored)

Cheers,
Kevin