pkg-config2

Ian Reinhart Geiser ian at geiseri.com
Sun Jan 23 20:18:56 EET 2005

On Sunday 23 January 2005 11:46, Waldo Bastian wrote:

> > > The interesting part here is not the directory, it's the directory
> > > cascade.
> >
> > I don't see anything other than multiple values; if you can enlighten me
> > as to how this is impossible with pkg-config, please do so.
>
> The point of kde-config is that it tells you which paths KDE uses for
> various things, given the various and currently active KDE configuration
> options for that. I don't see how pkg-config can know e.g. which additional
> wallpaper directories have been configured for KDE, or which KIOSK-profile
> is currently active.
>
> I guess there is some overlap in the sense that some of the prefix options
> could be handled by pkg-config as well.

My goal here was that kde-config could reuse the pkg-conf data along with the
ability to get the linker and include flags of the dependency packages,
without breaking the current functionality that we have.

This was the drive for the shared lib.  The only big reason we re-implemented
the client was so there would be no risk in diverging standards so to speak.
I don't mind maintaining a fork of pkg-conf, but I'd think its kinda silly.

Cheers
	-ian reinhart geiser

--
==========+<KWeather for KDE 3.2>+=+<http://www.kde.org>+===
 Report for Philadelphia, Northeast Philadelphia Airport