RFC: Autostart spec, first draft

Rodrigo Moya rodrigo at gnome-db.org
Fri Jul 8 13:30:04 EEST 2005

On Thu, 2005-07-07 at 22:56 +0200, Timo Stülten wrote:
> > I don't think there's anything wrong with Windows style auto-start. It's
> > convenient for the user and requires minimal knowledge and interaction.
> > We just need to get it right.
> I guess the minimal interaction is the problem at least for me :)
> So again: why not simply use an index.html for a similar effect?
> The file browser could render that index.html when looking onto removable
> media (Konqueror already has an "show index.html" menu entry) and the page can
> show the convenient "click here to start" link or "how to start" text with as
> much multimedia content as a CD producer wants.

that is a good idea, although I guess we want some way of autostarting
automatically. So, what about having some options, like first checking
for a desktop file on media, if not present, check for the autorun
script, and, if not present, display index.html.

That way, if people want, they can put a .desktop file to get something
automatically started.
--
Rodrigo Moya <rodrigo at gnome-db.org>