RFC: Autostart spec, second draft

Thiago Macieira thiago at kde.org
Thu Jul 14 17:18:47 EEST 2005

Mike Hearn wrote:
>  > This section of the spec specifically excludes admin-mandated
> > autostarts.
>
>> All the user has to do is create a file with the same name in his
>> $XDG_CONFIG_HOME dir with Hidden=true to turn the application off.
>
>The admin can put a .desktop file in the users home directory but that
>they can't write to or delete, no?

There are only two ways of doing that: making it immutable by the
filesystem (ext2/ext3), or making the user unable to write to the
directory.

The first option may not be universal on all filesystems. The second
options excludes user-defined autostarts.

>> However, considering the fact that the application will be launched
>> with the user's privileges, he could just as well kill it after logon,
>> so admin-mandated autostarts could be rendered useless.
>
>Well, you can get around that with SELinux if I understand correctly.

That's interesting to know, because there may be a purpose after all for
admin-mandated starts.

    PGP/GPG: 0x6EF45358; fingerprint:
    E067 918B B660 DBD1 105C  966C 33F5 F005 6EF4 5358

4. And æfter se scieppend ingelogode, he wrát "cenn", ac eala! se
rihtendgesamnung andswarode "cenn: ne wát hú cennan 'eall'. Ástynt."