RFC: Autostart spec, second draft

seventh guardian seventhguardian_ at hotmail.com
Thu Jul 14 21:48:45 EEST 2005

>From: Thiago Macieira <thiago at kde.org>
>To: Undisclosed.Recipients: ;
>CC: xdg at lists.freedesktop.org
>Subject: Re: RFC: Autostart spec, second draft
>Date: Thu, 14 Jul 2005 11:18:47 -0300
>
>Mike Hearn wrote:
> >  > This section of the spec specifically excludes admin-mandated
> > > autostarts.
> >
> >> All the user has to do is create a file with the same name in his
> >> $XDG_CONFIG_HOME dir with Hidden=true to turn the application off.
> >
> >The admin can put a .desktop file in the users home directory but that
> >they can't write to or delete, no?
>
>There are only two ways of doing that: making it immutable by the
>filesystem (ext2/ext3), or making the user unable to write to the
>directory.
>
>The first option may not be universal on all filesystems. The second
>options excludes user-defined autostarts.

Not quite. You can have several desktop files, so you can define your own
autostarts. Except that you can't override the admin-defined one..

> >> However, considering the fact that the application will be launched
> >> with the user's privileges, he could just as well kill it after logon,
> >> so admin-mandated autostarts could be rendered useless.
> >
> >Well, you can get around that with SELinux if I understand correctly.
>
>That's interesting to know, because there may be a purpose after all for
>admin-mandated starts.

Ok, if you want to add to the spec admin-mandated starts that run WITH
ADMIN-privileges, that's ok with me. But note, this is a user autostart dir.
The admin shouldn't use this dir to force some programs to be run by the
user, unless the user wants to. There are other means for him to
automatically run programs..