Qt/GTK Skinning

Jamie McCracken jamiemcc at blueyonder.co.uk
Mon Jul 25 14:59:47 EEST 2005

Kalle Vahlman wrote:

> See what? That we all are going to lose our business if we use more
> than one version of any given technology? Please.
>
> I do get my bread and butter from open source software, but I do it as
> a hobby too. Because it's fun. If you start to require business-level
> strategies that tie you up to one thing and one thing alone, it
> usually starts to get less fun.
>
> Don't get me wrong, it's all good that money is being introduced into
> the open source developement, it just shouldn't start to drive it (too
> much) or it'll get boring pretty fast.
>
> Also note that I'm not against unification, I just think it's not
> necessary to doom two implementations just because there are two of
> them.

I think your missing the point. The point is not which widget toolkit to
use (we are admittedly screwed there!) but when it come to non-widget
platform infrastructure there is simply no excuse for not collaborating
with freedesktop.

The widget choice is difficult but we are already seeing major companies
picking GTK (adobe, mozilla, real player et al) mostly due to its
licensing rather than any technical superiority (of course a few still
choose QT too like ndivida/ati). I cant see anyway out of this other
than to let market forces/evolution/survival of the fittest to sort it
out for us. In the meantime the best we can do is to skin them as close
to each other as possible in the hope that end users see little
difference between the two.

--
Mr Jamie McCracken
http://www.advogato.org/person/jamiemcc/