Qt/GTK Skinning

Kalle Vahlman kalle.vahlman at gmail.com
Mon Jul 25 16:16:03 EEST 2005

On 7/25/05, Jamie McCracken <jamiemcc at blueyonder.co.uk> wrote:
> Kalle Vahlman wrote:
> > See what? That we all are going to lose our business if we use more
> > than one version of any given technology? Please.
> >
> > I do get my bread and butter from open source software, but I do it as
> > a hobby too. Because it's fun. If you start to require business-level
> > strategies that tie you up to one thing and one thing alone, it
> > usually starts to get less fun.
> >
> > Don't get me wrong, it's all good that money is being introduced into
> > the open source developement, it just shouldn't start to drive it (too
> > much) or it'll get boring pretty fast.
> >
> > Also note that I'm not against unification, I just think it's not
> > necessary to doom two implementations just because there are two of
> > them.
> >

> I think your missing the point. The point is not which widget toolkit to
> use (we are admittedly screwed there!) but when it come to non-widget
> platform infrastructure there is simply no excuse for not collaborating
> with freedesktop.

Yeah, unless you really want to do it yourself and the freedesktop way
doesn't fit your goals. Are you saying that "one system for all" or
"all to one system"? First one will never be perfect for anyone,
second will prohibit new features unless everybody involved agrees on
them. Doesn't sound like too fun to me.

> The widget choice is difficult but we are already seeing major companies
> picking GTK (adobe, mozilla, real player et al)

Don't forget Nokia ;)

> mostly due to its
> licensing rather than any technical superiority (of course a few still
> choose QT too like ndivida/ati). I cant see anyway out of this other
> than to let market forces/evolution/survival of the fittest to sort it
> out for us.

Out of what? I still don't see what is the great danger you all seem
to be afraid of. Open source will be there as long as there are people
doing it, money involved or not. Maybe it won't take over the world,
but at least I don't care about that (thank god).

> In the meantime the best we can do is to skin them as close
> to each other as possible in the hope that end users see little
> difference between the two.

Isn't that what the metatheme and GtkQt are all about?

Kalle Vahlman, zuh at iki.fi