Starting Directory for Aplication launchers.

Christian Neumair chris at gnome-de.org
Wed Jul 27 00:54:41 EEST 2005

Am Dienstag, den 26.07.2005, 12:12 +0200 schrieb Joan Malagarriga
Duarte:
> Hi,
> In the Desktop launchers the Path Key, is it allways a "satic" string,
> lets say /home/data/startmyapphere, or is it a way to pass a directory
> to it, like the %d in the Exec Key ?
> My problem is, that many aplications I use, need to be started in the
> same directory as the file they use, but using a desktop launcher for
> these aplications allways start it in my home, so they fills my home
> directory with lots of output files I've got to then sort out.

Maybe you could come up with a concrete example? Shouldn't your
application be able to

a) determine the location of the opened file and just truncate the
filename for storing data related to the open file

b) include an user-modifiable output directory set through its prefs, if
it produces a lot of specialized output data. A sample would be a
rendering programs that has an output directory like ~/Movies for
storing rendered clips.

I just don't see why chdir stuff belongs to the desktop entry layer of
our desktop architecture.

--
Christian Neumair <chris at gnome-de.org>