XDG Menus GNOME vs. KDE

Travis Watkins alleykat at gmail.com
Tue Jun 7 11:47:41 EEST 2005

On 6/7/05, Mark McLoughlin <markmc at redhat.com> wrote:
> Hi,
>
> On Tue, 2005-05-31 at 21:46 -0700, James Richard Tyrer wrote:
> > It was brought to my attention (more than once) by a user that KDE and
> > GNOME each install their own version of:
> >
> >       /etc/xdg/menus/applications.menu
> >
> > {path varies from system to system}
> >
> > Clearly this doesn't work if you have both GNOME and KDE installed on
> > the same system.  Obviously, what you want is for the GNOME file and the
> > KDE file to coexist and be used by their respective desktops.
>
>         The intention is that the same menu configuration be shared between
> GNOME and KDE. On a system where both GNOME and KDE are installed, there
> is no reason to have two menu configurations.
>
>         Now, it is true that GNOME and KDE packages install their own menu
> configurations in the same place which isn't ideal. One option is that
> someone takes it upon themselves to try and define a shared
> configuration on freedesktop.org, but failing that its up to
> distributors to figure out a shared menu configuration for their
> distribution.
>
> Cheers,
> Mark.

That's the ideal solution. In reality, we have kde-applications.menu,
gnome-applications.menu, applications.menu.kde,
applications.menu.gnome, and applications.menu. This is obviously a
real problem that needs a solution other than making them all use the
same menu, since the distros obviously don't want to do this.

--
Travis Watkins
http://www.realistanew.com