XDG Menus GNOME vs. KDE

James Richard Tyrer tyrerj at acm.org
Tue Jun 7 12:53:54 EEST 2005

Mark McLoughlin wrote:
> Hi,
>
> On Tue, 2005-05-31 at 21:46 -0700, James Richard Tyrer wrote:
>
>>It was brought to my attention (more than once) by a user that KDE and
>>GNOME each install their own version of:
>>
>>	/etc/xdg/menus/applications.menu
>>
>>{path varies from system to system}
>>
>>Clearly this doesn't work if you have both GNOME and KDE installed on
>>the same system.  Obviously, what you want is for the GNOME file and the
>>KDE file to coexist and be used by their respective desktops.
>

> 	The intention is that the same menu configuration be shared between
> GNOME and KDE. On a system where both GNOME and KDE are installed, there
> is no reason to have two menu configurations.

In theory, you are correct, and I do agree with you.

> 	Now, it is true that GNOME and KDE packages install their own menu
> configurations in the same place which isn't ideal. One option is that
> someone takes it upon themselves to try and define a shared
> configuration on freedesktop.org, but failing that its up to
> distributors to figure out a shared menu configuration for their
> distribution.

But, as you say, in practice, different desktops install different menu
structures.  Until we can agree on such a shared menu structure, we need
to deal with the fact that we need to support different menu structures
for different desktops.

--
JRT