MenuSpec: deprecate <Deleted/> tag

James Richard Tyrer tyrerj at acm.org
Tue Jun 7 12:48:48 EEST 2005

Waldo Bastian wrote:
> On Friday 03 June 2005 20:16, Heinrich Wendel wrote:
>
>>Hi,
>>
>>I propose to deprecate the <Deleted/>/<NotDeleted/> tags. They were
>>intended to allow menu-editing. But there are also the NoDisplay and Hidden
>>Tags in the .directory of a menu. This can cause confusing and bugs when
>>writing a menu editor. Those i vote for keeping only the tags in the
>>.directory files.
>

> I am not convinced about that. It will typically mean that in order to delete
> a sub-menu, you will need to create a .directory file for that sub-menu while
> at the moment it is a matter of adding a line to the menu file. This change
> will not have any meaningful impact in the near future anyway because even
> though they are deprecated, implementations will still need to process the
> <Deleted/>/<NotDeleted/> tags correctly.

Yes, in most cases, the: "*.directory" file that needs the tag added to
it doesn't exist.  So, a local copy must first be created.

I agree that it is better to add this information to a: "*.menu" file.
This is better because the menu can be modified with the menu editor
without changing the VFS directory files.

What I see as the major problem is what happens if you are using two
desktops.  If you have separate: XDG_CONFIG_DIRS directories for the two
desktops, deleting a sum-menu on one desktop does NOT change it on the
other desktops.  But, if you put a tag in the "*.desktop" file, it also
deletes the sub-menu on other desktops.

So, if anything is to be deprecated, I think that it would be the use
of: "NoDisplay" & "Hidden" tags to change the menu structure.

It also happens that users totally screw up their menu with the menu
editor and with the current system, they can just delete the (ONE) file
to return it to default.

--
JRT