XDG Menus GNOME vs. KDE

Vincent Untz vuntz at gnome.org
Tue Jun 7 13:25:16 EEST 2005

On Tue, June 7, 2005 11:53, James Richard Tyrer said:
> Mark McLoughlin wrote:
>>         Now, it is true that GNOME and KDE packages install their own menu
>> configurations in the same place which isn't ideal. One option is that
>> someone takes it upon themselves to try and define a shared
>> configuration on freedesktop.org, but failing that its up to
>> distributors to figure out a shared menu configuration for their
>> distribution.
>
> But, as you say, in practice, different desktops install different menu
> structures.  Until we can agree on such a shared menu structure, we need
> to deal with the fact that we need to support different menu structures
> for different desktops.

I don't think we should start to work on this for applications.menu (we
should simply agree on a shared menu structure). However, GNOME uses
another .menu file that is not in the spec and other desktops could
also use some file with the same name, but with another intent.

So adding something in the spec about the names of .menu files that are
desktop-specific sounds useful to me.

Vincent

--
Les gens heureux ne sont pas pressés.