Keycodes >0xff

Michał Pytasz mpytasz at pai.net.pl
Tue Jun 14 18:31:27 EEST 2005

Hi,

I'm new to this list, and not sure if it is the right place to ask my
question. Recently I prepared an additional keyboard layout for Creative
wireless desktop 8000 for X (and posted to bugs.freedesktoo.org bug 3514) but
there is one thing that makes me wonder.
Are the keycodes for X limited to 255? (one byte) If not how to add keys with
scancodes 278-280 (0x116-0x118) ? <linux/input.h> allows 9 bit keycodes (max
0x1ff) this is the reason for my question, since in X, keys with scancodes
>255 remain dead, trying to add (in xkb/keycodes/xfree86) additional
scancodes and increasing maximum made all additional keys of the keyboard
dead.

Michal