Keycodes >0xff

Jim Gettys Jim.Gettys at hp.com
Tue Jun 14 18:42:50 EEST 2005

Yes, keycodes are limited to 248 (8 codes are reserved for other uses).

We did not forsee any keyboards with more than 248 unique keys; you'll
need to use codes that are not otherwise in use.  So scancodes will need
mapping to keycodes in some fashion, rather than being one-to-one.

I challenge you to show me a keyboard with more than 248 actual keys on
it.

Note that each keycode can have arbitrary keysyms associated with it.
				Regards,
					- Jim Gettys