A common VFS and a Common conf-system [Part II]

Philip Van Hoof spamfrommailing at freax.org
Tue Mar 1 20:58:26 EET 2005

On Tue, 2005-03-01 at 10:48 -0500, Sean Middleditch wrote:

> As promised, here's some more notes/ideas.  Still dead tired due to only
> four hours of sleep, but maybe I won't babble too uselessly.

How are you going to implement streams and streamable objects?

A VFS that can callback when the next portion of the data from a stream
became available locally?

I can see use in this for example for multimedia filetypes. Perhaps
could a library like GStreamer eventually integrate with something like
this?

Or Nautilus (or any filemanager) showing a running movie (not just the
first frame) in the preview-icon of a mpg-file without the need for
Nautilus to read the entire contents of the file first (causing huge
memory usage).

--
Philip Van Hoof, Software Developer @ Cronos
home: me at freax dot org