D-Conf

Philip Van Hoof spamfrommailing at freax.org
Fri Mar 4 18:14:13 EET 2005

On Fri, 2005-03-04 at 17:05 +0100, Alexander Larsson wrote:
> On Fri, 2005-03-04 at 16:59 +0100, Philip Van Hoof wrote:

> > I don't think any deep integration with D-VFS is necessary. Perhaps it
> > could be useful to once create a D-VFS 'plugin' to handle D-Conf keys
> > as files on a filesystem. That way it wouldn't be necessary to write a
> > gconf-editor equivalent.
>
> This sounds like a bad idea. See any of my many rants when someone
> proposes a new "not-really-a-user-document-storage" backend for
> gnome-vfs.
>
> Furthermore, i highly doubt that any user would consider such a
> filesystem a "gconf-editor equivalent", or that any implementer of a
> gconf-editor style app would want to use this filesystem instead of the
> normal config API.

Yeah indeed, bad idea. You guys are absolutely right. So lets forget it
and let the "geeks" who want this implement it themselves.

First they'll need D-VFS to be internal-API stable and D-Conf to exist.
So it wont be for tomorrow anyhow.

--
Philip Van Hoof, Software Developer @ Cronos
home: me at freax dot org