Working together: microstandard sugestion

Owen Taylor otaylor at redhat.com
Mon Mar 7 03:42:52 EET 2005

Philip Van Hoof wrote:
> On Sun, 2005-03-06 at 07:07 -0800, Rahul Sundaram wrote:
>

>>>Hopfully, the core kde and gnome/gtk developers can
>>>add minimal suport,
>>>so we get smal things like button order in dialogs
>>>right (and D'nD save
>>>in rox).
>

>>this has come up before but afaik gnome applications
>>hard code the button order so thats not a possibility
>

> Most of such buttons are packed in a GtkHButtonBox. The ordering is
> indeed, at this moment, in the hands of the application developer. But
> I'm sure such minor development changes are acceptable for most if not
> all Gtk+ application developers.
>
> Once it has been put in the GNOME HIG, I'm sure a lot developers will
> eventually replace their GtkHButtonBox+Buttons with a custom widget that
> can change button-ordering by user-preference.

People don't manually pack buttons into button boxes, they use
GtkDialog. Functionality to support an alternative button order was
added in GTK+-2.6:

http://developer.gnome.org/doc/API/2.0/gtk/GtkDialog.html#gtk-dialog-set-alternative-button-order

I would not expect the GNOME HIG to advocate using this function ...
it is not a coding standards dialog, it is a document about how apps
should appear in GNOME. But for people who want to write
cross-environment apps, it is there.

Regards,
					Owen