Menu addition.

Josef Spillner spillner at kde.org
Fri Mar 11 10:23:58 EET 2005

Am Freitag, 11. März 2005 02:35 schrieb Pat Suwalski:
> While I know that this whole spec avoids the Windows StartMenu effect,
> is there anything that a third-party package can do to add a category to
> an existing system?

Sure. Have a look on how the GGZ Gaming Zone project does it.
http://cvs.ggzgamingzone.org/cgi-bin/viewcvs.cgi/ggz-client-libs/desktop/
Basically, you create a menu file and another one which refers to the first
one and leads to the merge.

It is reasonable as long as it's still type-of-application based instead of
purely vendor based, as there are always new kinds of software which cannot
easily be covered by the existing categories.
All software which is closely tied to this but still resembles existing
software should then show up in both the new menu and the existing ones, i.e.
the Categories field should contain two entries at least.

Josef