Menu addition.

Mark McLoughlin markmc at redhat.com
Fri Mar 11 10:41:19 EET 2005

Hi,

On Fri, 2005-03-11 at 09:23 +0100, Josef Spillner wrote:
> Am Freitag, 11. März 2005 02:35 schrieb Pat Suwalski:
> > While I know that this whole spec avoids the Windows StartMenu effect,
> > is there anything that a third-party package can do to add a category to
> > an existing system?
>
> Sure. Have a look on how the GGZ Gaming Zone project does it.
> http://cvs.ggzgamingzone.org/cgi-bin/viewcvs.cgi/ggz-client-libs/desktop/
> Basically, you create a menu file and another one which refers to the first
> one and leads to the merge.

	That's a very odd way of doing it. Why not just install the following
in $(sysconfdir)/xdg/menus/applications-merged:

---
<!DOCTYPE Menu PUBLIC "-//freedesktop//DTD Menu 0.8//EN"
 "http://www.freedesktop.org/standards/menu-spec/menu-0.8.dtd">

<Menu>
  <Name>Applications</Name>

  <Menu>
    <Name>GGZ</Name>
    <Directory>ggz.directory</Directory>

    <Include>
      <Category>X-GGZ</Category>
    </Include>

    <Menu>
      <Name>GGZ Games</Name>
      <Directory>ggz-games.directory</Directory>
      <Include>
        <Category>X-GGZ-Games</Category>
      </Include>
    </Menu>
  </Menu>

</Menu>
---

	There shouldn't be any need to have another level of merging.

Cheers,
Mark.