"Name" key value in desk. entry spec collides with file names, could misguide users?

Joerg Barfurth jub at sun.com
Wed Mar 16 11:41:45 EET 2005

Lars Hallberg wrote:

> Yes, that is good. Togheter with not alowing dots in the name, so an
> 'app' can't call itself 'boobs.jpg' will help allot!

Do you really think that is still necessary when +x is required? Who
would mark a "boobs.jpg" file as executable, and why? Why would they
then not do the same to a file name "boobs"?

This restriction causes problems for programs that have a dot in their
proper name (e.g "OpenOffice.org") or for .desktops that are supposed to
launch a website or open a ftp server.

Lastly, preventing a single dot character may well be insufficient. I
suppose there are enough dot-like unicode characters to spoof a
"boobs.jpg" name with some utf-8 character.

Ciao, Joerg

--
Joerg Barfurth              Sun Microsystems - Desktop - Hamburg
Software Engineer                         joerg.barfurth at sun.com
OpenOffice.org Configuration          http://util.openoffice.org