XDG_CONFIG_DIRS in desktop basedir & menu spec

Waldo Bastian bastian at kde.org
Fri Mar 18 21:48:43 EET 2005

On Friday 18 March 2005 19:13, Matt Kynaston wrote:
> Hi,
>
> Sorry to bug you all again. It's a minor point, but I've just noticed
> something odd about XDG_CONFIG_DIRS and XDG_DATA_DIRS.
>
> In the desktop spec, it's clear that if XDG_CONFIG_DIRS not set or
> empty, it should be '/etc/xdg'. It also has XDG_CONFIG_HOME =
> ~/.config if not set.
>
> But in the menu spec there's no mention of XDG_CONFIG_HOME - it seems
> to imply that XCD includes XCH.

Yes, see
http://standards.freedesktop.org/basedir-spec/latest/ar01s04.html

> pyxdg currently prepends XCH to XCD,

That's correct because XCH is more important than the paths in XCD, and the
paths in XCD are ordered by importance, most important one first. So by
prepending XCH to XCD you get the full search path in the correct order of
importance.

> but I've noticed gnome-menu follows the desktop basedir spec and must
> give XCH its priority later.

That's the same, no?

> Maybe the menu spec should explicitly mention XDG_CONFIG_HOME and
> XDG_DATA_HOME to avoid confusion? I'll fix pyxdg to follow
> gnome-menu's way of handling it, anyway.

Perhaps it could add an explicit reference to
http://standards.freedesktop.org/basedir-spec/latest/ar01s04.html
if it isn't clear.

Cheers,
Waldo