XDG_CONFIG_DIRS in desktop basedir & menu spec

Matt Kynaston mattkyn at gmail.com
Fri Mar 18 20:13:01 EET 2005

Hi,

Sorry to bug you all again. It's a minor point, but I've just noticed
something odd about XDG_CONFIG_DIRS and XDG_DATA_DIRS.

In the desktop spec, it's clear that if XDG_CONFIG_DIRS not set or
empty, it should be '/etc/xdg'. It also has XDG_CONFIG_HOME =
~/.config if not set.

But in the menu spec there's no mention of XDG_CONFIG_HOME - it seems
to imply that XCD includes XCH. pyxdg currently prepends XCH to XCD,
but I've noticed gnome-menu follows the desktop basedir spec and must
give XCH its priority later.

Maybe the menu spec should explicitly mention XDG_CONFIG_HOME and
XDG_DATA_HOME to avoid confusion? I'll fix pyxdg to follow
gnome-menu's way of handling it, anyway.

Regards,

Matt