Associating mime types with icons - broken?

Ryan Gammon rgammon at real.com
Tue Mar 22 03:06:32 EET 2005

Mike Hearn wrote:

>Hi,
>
>I've spent the last few hours trying to figure out how you can add an icon
>for a MIME type for some 3rd party software. Unfortunately there are a few
>problems:
>
>- Firstly the icon theme spec is extremely vague about this, it doesn't
>  mention mime types explicitly anywhere, nor does it mention how
>  a mimetype like application/x-foo is translated to an icon theme name

+1 -- especially problematic is conflict resolution here for people
trying to install icons for 3rd party apps. There was a "Icon-mime type
associations" thread back in 09/15/04 on xdg that never completely got
sorted out.

Attached is my original message on the subject...

--
Ryan Gammon
rgammon at real.com
Developer for Helix Player