RFC: Spec versioning

Frans Englich frans.englich at telia.com
Thu Mar 24 06:16:49 EET 2005

On Wednesday 23 March 2005 22:16, Waldo Bastian wrote:
> Hi,
>
> I thought it might be useful if we could agree on how to version specs.
> In particular it isn't always clear when to update the version number. E.g.
> when working on a number of changes to a stable spec you don't want to use
> a new version number for every change, but you do want to change the
> version number when making the first change to make clear that this isn't
> the stable version any longer.

It sounds like something that should be part of a "XDG Specification Writing
Guidelines". Such a document could be a starting point for bringing
unification into the specs, document any future XML namespaces etc.[1]

Cheers,

		Frans

1.
And suddenly it became hot in here! Recently was an "XML Policy" proposal --
and its proposer -- thrown out the back door when it was suggested in KDE..