[PROPOSAL] Desktop Bookmarks

Daniel Veillard veillard at redhat.com
Tue May 10 13:43:57 EEST 2005

On Tue, May 10, 2005 at 12:37:29PM +0200, Emmanuele Bassi wrote:
> Anyone wishing to create an XBEL-compliant file from the desktop
> bookmarks could do it using XSLT, as a side-project.

  No, you're reasoning is wrong. You can go from a complete format
to a simpler format with XSLT, but you can't generate a complete
format from a simpler one. The real status is:
  "Anybody wishing to use a simplified down version of a bookmark file
   could generate it from an XBEL compliant XML file using XSLT"
not the way around !

> > Dependency stack? I'm talking about a file format, not about an actual
> > implementation of it.
>
> I am considering the implementation too, since writing a spec without
> that in mind would end up being ignored.

  You have XSLT in libxslt if needed for simpler purposes. Both KDE and
GNOME have full XML implementations with namespace support to parse XBEL.

> (I'm very open minded about the file format, but I want it to be
> extremely simple: XML namespaces for each foreign tag is not my idea
> of "simple").

  simple does not mean useful. complex does not mean useless. XBEL at
least is know to be useful now.

Daniel