[PROPOSAL] Desktop Bookmarks

Rodney Dawes dobey at novell.com
Tue May 10 18:22:41 EEST 2005

How about .desktop files? We already have a spec for them, which
includes the type "Link", for creating bookmarks to remote sites.
We just need to specify where to put them, and perhaps a good way
to do that, is to use the Menu Specification on fd.o.

There are plenty of formats in use already, that handle bookmarks.
What we need to solve, is accessing those bookmarks across all
applications, and desktops, not necessarily how to store them. The
storage format is a side-effect of the real issue.

Another benefit of using .desktop files, is that it makes it easy to
put a single bookmark icon on your desktop, or the panel, or to send
it off in an e-mail to someone. Using a single file to contain all of
the metadata for all bookmarks, makes that much more difficult.

-- dobey