xdg Digest, Vol 20, Issue 7

Raul Suarez rarsa at yahoo.com
Mon Nov 7 21:30:20 PST 2005

> > the individual freedom. That's not linux. That is
> windows. If you want
> > to create another windows, I'm off from
> freedesktop.org.
>
> But normal users do not care about multiple
> desktops. They don't care
> that there is a GNOME, KDE, XFCE, IceWM, Blackbox,
> WhateverWM, they just
> want to use their apps and get work done.

Says who?

Talk to the average linux user and you will see that
one of the big selling points to them is the ability
to personalize it. Go to every distro forum and you
will see users sugesting, providing or using different
window managers. And I'm not talking technical users.
Many techies would prefer to focus on having a distro
that works over one that looks good, still many people
prefer a distro that looks good and THAT is quite
subjective.

Here is where standards can help. Simplify the work
for the tech users creating standards.

I'm sure that some people would love uniforms at the
work place, but I don't think it's the majority.

In any case, I think that this mail thread is just a
misunderstanding, I would be highly surprised if
someone is really sugesting to have a standard linux
look and feel as oposed to a standard naming and location.