Remove Tango-artists mailinglist from FreeDesktop.org

Alexander Larsson alexl at redhat.com
Mon Nov 7 23:14:40 PST 2005

On Tue, 2005-11-08 at 09:13 +0100, Torsten Rahn wrote:
> Am Dienstag, 8. November 2005 07:23 schrieb Jonathan Blandford:
> > 2) Building off that, if ISVs are going to use the icon spec at all, we
> > need to give them a target.  Asking them to target all known themes is
> > totally unreasonable; asking them to choose a style for their default
> > icons is also untenable.  I would totally expect them to throw their
> > hands up in disgust, as there's nothing valid they can do here.  The
> > tango project, at least, seems to be trying to solve this (very hard)
> > problem.
>
> Those "ISV"s you are mentioning never focus on Linux only, so a large amount
> of them is crossplattform applications.
> If you look at crossplattform applications you might realize that many of
> those use their _very own_ icontheme. They don't do this for the _lack_ of
> icons but to:
>
> - promote their very own visual identity.
> - to have a consistent look of the dialogs for their documentation (so that
> you don't need to add a screenshot for each OS to your docs).
> - make the application look trendy. uniformity was a thing of the 90ies.
> diversity is a thing of the current decade.
>
> Think about it:
> On the Windows plattform the Tango icon theme will look alien. Instead of
> looking alien the ISV will prefer trying to give the application a distinct
> look which will promote its own visual identity.
>
> So trying to appeal to ISV's is doesn't make sense here.

You have a very narrow-minded view of what an ISV is. Any hacker writing
a piece of code and putting it on sourceforge is an ISV. I think most of
these are not interested in promoting their own visual identity.

                   alexl at redhat.com    alla at lysator.liu.se
He's a lonely native American photographer with a passion for fast cars. She's
a psychotic insomniac cab driver living on borrowed time. They fight crime!