Every window manager creates a window over the root window?

Carsten Haitzler (The Rasterman) raster at rasterman.com
Tue Nov 29 18:46:41 PST 2005

On Wed, 30 Nov 2005 01:31:02 +0000 (GMT) "Carlos Eduardo R. Di$(D+Q(Bgenes"
<cerdiogenes at yahoo.com.br> babbled:

> Hi,
>
> I read some time that some window managers creates a
> window over the root window and make all the
> operations over this created window.
>
> What I want to know is if this operation is a
> standard? If it's not, I would suggested that it
> became. I really have no idea if it's very difficult,
> but it is a important thing for visually impared
> people, because if a magnifier is running in split
> screen mode a lot of space is lost. So, if all window
> managers first create an window, we can adopt a
> standard to achieve the ID of this window and have
> methods to roll it from under the magnifier when the
> pointer goes near the magnifier and the roll it back
> when the pointer go far. This way we don't lost
> desktop space and the user can have a better spacial
> locality.

come again? i don't know what you are getting at in terms of neeeding to mvoe
windows the wm created out of the way for a magnifier etc. and i'm no6t sure
you have a good idea about this "window over root" and what root is and how
windows work. you need to explain in more detail your issue first. what's the
problem?

The Rasterman (Carsten Haitzler)    raster at rasterman.com
$BMg9%B?(B
Tokyo, Japan ($BEl5~(B $BF|K\(B)