icon-theme-spec: Inherits=

James Richard Tyrer tyrerj at acm.org
Mon Oct 17 11:10:15 PDT 2005

Rodney Dawes wrote:
> On Sun, 2005-10-16 at 02:00 -0700, James Richard Tyrer wrote:
<SNIP>
> You shouldn't need to create a symlink to hicolor, nor should you need
> to provide hicolor in the Inherits= list for your theme, as it must be
> the absolute last theme in the theme tree, according to the spec. I /think/
> there might be a bug with this in the KDE icon theme code. In trying to get
> Tango working across both current GNOME and KDE naming, several things have
> come up that lead me to believe there are a number of bugs in KDE's handling
> of icon themes with regards to the specification.
>

>>The KDEClassic theme has:
>>
>>	Inherits=default
>>
>>and this does not work as expected so it is necessary to modify
>>KDEClassic as stated on KDE-Look for it to work as expected.

Having given this further consideration, my conclusion is that having
this spurious inheritance in KDEClassic is a bug and that it needs to be
removed.  However, removing it causes another problem which I suspect is
why it was added there to start with.

With the scenario that:

	The icon theme selected is KDEClassic.

	There is no KDEClassic icon.

	There is no HiColor icon.

	There is a CrystalSVG icon.

	The "default" link points to: "crystalsvg"

what happens is that without this spurious inheritance that no icon is
found and the "unknown" icon is displayed.  This does happen with KDE
because we do not have full support for the KDEClassic and HiColor icon
themes.  This an issue that needs to be addressed in KDE -- probably in
the code.

--
JRT