Common spec/interface for file metadata

Daniel P. Berrange dan at berrange.com
Mon Sep 5 15:17:21 EEST 2005

On Mon, Sep 05, 2005 at 06:30:54PM +0100, Jamie McCracken wrote:
> Timo Stülten wrote:
> >Am Montag, 5. September 2005 17:07 schrieb Jamie McCracken
> >
> >>I should also define a set of common metadata type names like:
> >
> >Please, please, please: Don't invent another set of keys but use
> >namespaces, common prefixes and keys from vocabularies like Dublin Core,
> >FOAF and similar.
> >
> >-Timo Stuelten-
> >

> Well we are dealing with simple keys here whereas FOAF and Dublin Core
> appear to be more hierarchical class based keys and I'm not sure if they
> are useful here. Can you give me examples of what the sample keys I
> listed would look like under Dublin Core and FOAF?

There are multiple levels of Dublin Core compliance. At the basic level,
the terms are flat

  contributor
  coverage
  creator
  date
  description
  format

they can, however, be further refined

  description
    - abstract
  date
    - created
    - copyrighted
    - submitted

which is where the hierarchical nature can come into play - this is totally
optional though. Check out the details at

  http://dublincore.org/documents/dcmi-terms/

Dan.