A draft for a standard for desktop configuration

Philip Van Hoof spam at pvanhoof.be
Mon Sep 12 15:32:39 EEST 2005

Hi there,

I've been doing some discussions with some of the key developers of
existing configuration infrastructure on the opensource platform.

We've been discussing the creation of a specification and/or standard
for desktop configuration.

I tried to create the standard. I used LaTex for the document format and
added a build environment that will create both a dvi and pdf from it.

You can find more information here (unfinished):

http://www.freedesktop.org/wiki/Standards_2fdesktop_2dconfig_2dspec

You can find the proposal itself (it's source) here:

http://cvs.pvanhoof.be/cgi-bin/viewcvs.cgi/desktop-config-standard/

And a tarball of that here:

http://cvs.pvanhoof.be/cgi-bin/viewcvs.cgi/desktop-config-standard/desktop-config-standard.tar.gz?tarball=1

I don't yet have permission (from Daniel) to let freedesktop.org be the
CVS repository hosting location. He'd like to see a rough/scratch but
working implementation first. Mainly because standards tend to change
radically as an implementation is written. I don't disagree with that.

If people are interested in building a rough implementation and/or
helping me with crafting this standard/specification: please do contact
me. I really can use your help (I'm serious). Read the "ps" if you are
interested.

Note that this rough implementation is not necessarily the same as the
project that has been dubbed "DConf". It might be. Or "UniConf" could
implement it. Or .. whatever (which project implements it first, isn't
important. But a first implementation is important for the standard to
prove itself).

ps. Some very interesting and extremely important documentation about
desktop configuration that affects this specification can be found here:

http://util.openoffice.org/common/configuration/oor-document-format.html
http://www.gnome.org/projects/gconf/plans.html
http://www.gnome.org/projects/gconf/plans-spec.html

Also interesting to read might be this one:

http://pvanhoof.be/wiki/index.php/Temporary_location_for_D-Conf_specs

home: me at pvanhoof dot be
gnome: pvanhoof at gnome dot org
work: vanhoof at x-tend dot be