DESKTOP_LAUNCH (was once Cross-desktop helpers)

Paul Boddie paul at boddie.org.uk
Tue Sep 27 12:14:17 EEST 2005

Hello,

Was there ever any consensus about the different desktop environments
supporting the DESKTOP_LAUNCH environment variable? I've reviewed numerous
threads covering DESKTOP, DESKTOP_OPEN, DESKTOP_CTL, DESKTOP_HELPER and
DESKTOP_LIB, along with other suggestions about dlopening shared libraries
and scripts with well-known names. Was this seemingly uncontroversial work
quietly abandoned in December 2004 or am I missing something?

Paul