An addition to the clipboard specification

Thiago Macieira thiago at kde.org
Fri Apr 14 22:46:03 EEST 2006

Toni Ruottu wrote:
>  Hi
>
>I'm hoping Freedesktop.org clipboard specification/explanation [1] could
>be extended to cover the behavior described in a bug report [2] filed by
>Zack Weinberg for GTK+. The description doesn't conflict with the
>current specification in any way, while it gives a sane and consistent
>way of handling PRIMARY.

I agree with his item #3, but I strongly oppose to #4. If you require that
functionality, it's fairly simple to run a PRIMARY-CLIPBOARD synchroniser
program. As for #1, it should be clear that's in response to
mouse-events. Keyboard events (as in shift+left when making a selection)
should not set the PRIMARY.

This effectly makes PRIMARY a mouse-only entity and CLIPBOARD a
keyboard-only entity (not considering clicking on cut/copy/paste menus).

This is, of course, my strongly biased opinion, based on how I currently
use it.

  thiago.macieira (AT) trolltech.com     Trolltech AS
    GPG: 0x6EF45358                   |  Sandakerveien 116,
    E067 918B B660 DBD1 105C          |  NO-0402
    966C 33F5 F005 6EF4 5358          |  Oslo, Norway