X Cursor spec issues

Alberto Ruiz aruiz at synaptia.net
Fri Aug 25 06:56:34 PDT 2006

I've been looking for information on the X cursor themes, and there is
almost no information at the spec draft:

http://www.freedesktop.org/wiki/Standards/cursor-spec

I would like to explain my experience in order to argue some points that I
want to discuss. I have a Gentoo box, and wanted to set a cursor theme for
my user. After some hard googling, I found this:

http://ports.openbsd.nu/x11/xcursor-themes

Which is an OpenBSD tutorial for xcursor themes, it was the only page that
I've found to know that XCURSOR_PATH and XCURSOR_THEME existed (both are not
on the draft).

Then I wanted to know, where was the default path and theme, and I realized
that it was harcoded into the libXcursor, on the src/library.c file with
ths:

#ifndef ICONDIR
#define ICONDIR "/usr/X11R6/lib/X11/icons"
#endif

#ifndef XCURSORPATH
#define XCURSORPATH "~/.icons:/usr/share/icons:/usr/share/pixmaps:"ICONDIR
#endif

Why does the default cursor path is the same than the icon themes path?

Then I realized that index.theme files uses "[Icon Theme]" section to
determine the default theme. Why does the default section is the same than
the icon index.theme files?

Icons and cursors are different things (in fact, I have never seen any
bundled icon+cursor theme distribution).

I think that make this follow the XDG_DATA*/cursors/ like themes and icons,
and have their own theme.index section would be a better idea than the
actual scheme.

Thanks,
--
Un saludo,