PACTHES: Desktop Entry Spec 1.0 - Take 2

Vincent Untz vuntz at gnome.org
Tue Aug 29 15:56:18 EEST 2006

Hi,

Le mardi 22 août 2006, à 17:22, Bastian, Waldo a écrit :
> Below I will propose patches for the remaining open issues. If you have
> changes that aren't in the updated version already and that aren't
> mentioned below, please speak up.
>
> Process safeguard: The review period for these patches ends at Wednesday
> Aug
> 30. Without substantial opposition/requests for change I will commit the
> patches after the end of the review period.
>
> * actions.diff and fixexample.diff
>
> Since this isn't widely supported yet I suggest to remove Actions for
> the 1.0 version and add it back for a 1.1 version. I propose to apply
> actions-2.diff which removes Actions for 1.0.

I believe it'd be better to properly define this now, than to remove it.
Is there a reason to not define it now?

> * regexp.diff
>
> Since the only user of regexp was FilePattern, which is now deprecated,
> I suggest to remove regexp as type altogether. I propose regexp-2.diff
> which removes regexp as type.

This is minor, but I'd still like to add a note about the kind of regexp
the FilePattern key is using (POSIX 1003.2 extended regexps make sense,
I guess). To make it even stricter, we could write:

"The value is a list of strings that are POSIX 1003.2 extended regular
expressions to match against..."

(list of regexps is not a valid type anymore with your patch ;-))

> * versionkey.diff
>
> The field is currently listed as numeric with a well defined meaning,
> making it easy to compare whether one version is older than another. Not
> that anyone is actually using the Version field at the moment. I propose
> to change according to versionkey-2.diff

Your patch doesn't change the type to string.
I'm not sure how the "Note that the version field is not required to be
present." will work: once we'll have done 1.0, 1.1, 1.2, 2.0 and 3.0,
what should the implementation assume?

Also, I prefer the patch I sent in [1] since it defines the format of
the string.

[1] http://lists.freedesktop.org/archives/xdg/2006-August/008456.html

> * icon-theme-spec.diff
>
> Still a bit undecided on this one, but I wil commit this one as-is if
> there are no strong opinions to do otherwise.

Looks good.

> * FSDevice
>
> FSDvice is currently only used by KDE. I have moved it's description and
> the associated keys to Appendix B. Proposed patch is in
> fsdevice-kde.diff

Good one too.

Vincent

--