Standard desktop API

Thiago Macieira thiago at kde.org
Sun Dec 31 01:53:35 EET 2006

Donald Straney wrote:
>> You've just described libdapi, the project you're criticising.
>
>Thanks for correcting me, I guess I was misinformed about that.  I had
>thought it was an abstraction layer on top of the KDE and GNOME
>libraries instead of a project to standardize the APIs and get rid of
>desktop-specific calls (widget toolkits excluded, of course).

No, you were right in the first place: it's an abstraction layer on top of
the existing APIs.

There's no plan to standardise on a single library, mostly because it's
chicken-and-the-egg problem: how can you provide the services using the
abstract library that uses them?

We discussed that among KDE developers: should the KDE libraries use XDG
calls to execute certain actions? I don't think we reached a consensus.
Some argue on respecting any other desktop's preferences when KDE
applications are run on them; others argue that running KDE applications
should bring along the best we can provide, in spite of a common
denominator found.

    PGP/GPG: 0x6EF45358; fingerprint:
    E067 918B B660 DBD1 105C  966C 33F5 F005 6EF4 5358