Standard desktop API

Donald Straney burntfuse at gmail.com
Sun Dec 31 21:49:02 EET 2006

On 12/30/06, Thiago Macieira <thiago at kde.org> wrote:
> There's no plan to standardise on a single library, mostly because it's
> chicken-and-the-egg problem: how can you provide the services using the
> abstract library that uses them?
>
> We discussed that among KDE developers: should the KDE libraries use XDG
> calls to execute certain actions? I don't think we reached a consensus.
> Some argue on respecting any other desktop's preferences when KDE
> applications are run on them; others argue that running KDE applications
> should bring along the best we can provide, in spite of a common
> denominator found.

That's true, getting programmers from a few very different projects to
agree to make their base libraries conform to a single standard is
probably just about impossible.  If it had been done when KDE was
still in its early versions and GNOME was just being planned, then it
might have worked, but by now it's irreversible.  Oh well, I hope it
goes well with libdapi.
(Again, sorry about duplicate messages - Gmail is starting to annoy me)