systray specification...

Lubos Lunak l.lunak at suse.cz
Thu Feb 2 19:06:23 EET 2006

On Thursday 02 February 2006 08:56, Carsten Haitzler wrote:
> Ok - since the systray "spec" is still 0.x and a draft and still not
> properly implemented in all places... I think I'd like to bring it up for
> discussion. In starting to implement it... I've run across some nasty
> issues. Let me bring up an image as it says 1000 words... :)
>
> http://www.rasterman.com/files/bad_tray.png
>
> Notice different icons have differing bacgkrounds? They are all solid
> square blocks? Well if you know the spec, you know why... so... anyway.

 That's only a matter of (missing) XSetWindowBackgroundPixmap() with
ParentRelative. I guess the spec should say that.

> Several issues to bring up.

[handling of systray icons by systray itself]

 Actually we had this discussion in KDE some time ago with looong threads
(http://lists.kde.org/?l=kde-core-devel&m=110833557914964&w=2,
http://lists.kde.org/?l=kde-core-devel&m=110841124008784&w=2,
http://lists.kde.org/?l=kde-core-devel&m=111358766213242&w=2,
http://lists.kde.org/?l=kde-core-devel&m=111726975921264&w=2).

 I even implemented patches showing this, but I pushed them together with
claiming the fact that the systray UI itself is a mess and the discussion
eventually died out because of disagreements. But I guess our Kicker
developers could be interested in this.

--
Lubos Lunak
KDE developer