systray specification...

Carsten Haitzler (The Rasterman) raster at rasterman.com
Fri Feb 3 06:03:24 EET 2006

On Thu, 02 Feb 2006 10:48:56 -0500 Matthias Clasen <mclasen at redhat.com> babbled:

> On Thu, 2006-02-02 at 16:56 +0900, Carsten Haitzler wrote:
>
> > I would suggest that instead of reparenting the window, the systray can have
> > the option of reading ARGB pixel data just like the NETWM_ICON property
> > data. The systray icon owner can modify this property any time and then the
> > systray can update the display accordinly. This allows for the systray to
> > create a more consistent look and feel, not sacrificing display ability for
> > the application. As for handling events the systray can send back events
> > such as "selected" "activated" "disabled" etc. when a user might click on a
> > systray icon, via client messages and the systray icon owner can respond bu
> > modifying the icon data or doing something.
>
> > Let the flames begin.
> >

> Ok, how about this...
>
> The NETWM_ICON stuff was already ugly way back when it got added to the EWMH.
> But nowadays, there is really no excuse for not using Render Picture objects,
> or is there ?

i touched on this in 2 other replies - i am of 2 minds. you do have a good
point. but do we want a spec like systray to RELY on currently "new" extensions
that are in fact still mostly experimental even as of today (xrender
acceleration is iffy - on a god day still).? i would dearly like such a spec to
work even on old xservers embedded into x terminal thin clients in labs or on
old sun workstations etc. ?

The Rasterman (Carsten Haitzler)    raster at rasterman.com
裸好多
Tokyo, Japan (東京 日本)