Proposal for better handling of mimetype icon themeing

Alexander Larsson alexl at redhat.com
Mon Feb 6 16:02:37 EET 2006

On Tue, 2006-01-24 at 11:47 -0500, Rodney Dawes wrote:
> On Wed, 2006-01-11 at 11:41 +0100, Alexander Larsson wrote:
> >
> > Isn't image-x-generic what the naming spec specifies in this case?
>
> Yes, but "image-photo", "image" and others aren't.

Ah, yeah. Those were added to give an example usage of this.

> > The main idea was to put icon names from the naming spec into the
> > freedesktop mime database, so the "list of icons in the XML" is the same
> > as the ones specified in the naming spec. I don't understand how you
> > could look up "the generic icon specified in the naming spec" in any
> > other way (except hardcoding it in each implementation).
>
> True. Let's get this in and start with the icons that are in the spec,
> and we can discuss expanding things later, to cover your next point.

We're in violent agreement then. Lets start by getting the actual spec
additions in, and then we can start using it in steps.

However, I'm sort of worried that there is so little feedback in this
thread. Did e.g. someone involved in the kde icon handling look at this?
Is nobody else interested in this?

> I'm not sure how useful that would be really. The number of types that
> don't satisfy that assumption is too great, I think. We can probably do
> something like this for some other, better defined types, but doing it
> with images and audio might be difficult. For video, technically
> everything is a video, so we probably don't need to do anything there
> either. Trying to guess if something is a feature length film vs. a
> short vs. a commercial or something, is probably too complex to do.

I'm pretty sure there are types where this will be useful. Whether its
useful for images is a later discussion.

> PS: Sorry for the slow reply. Very busy the last few weeks with all the
> freeze action going on.

I'm sort of late here too....

                   alexl at redhat.com    alla at lysator.liu.se
He's a short-sighted umbrella-wielding cyborg on a mission from God. She's a
blind cat-loving Valkyrie with her own daytime radio talk show. They fight
crime!