Proposal for better handling of mimetype icon themeing

Rodney Dawes dobey at novell.com
Mon Feb 6 22:42:44 EET 2006

On Mon, 2006-02-06 at 15:02 +0100, Alexander Larsson wrote:
> We're in violent agreement then. Lets start by getting the actual spec
> additions in, and then we can start using it in steps.

Yes we are. Indeed. Getting all this in and working, whether it be quick
and bloodletting, or in little steps, would be great. :)

> However, I'm sort of worried that there is so little feedback in this
> thread. Did e.g. someone involved in the kde icon handling look at this?
> Is nobody else interested in this?

Unfortunately, there has also been very little feedback from the KDE and
other communities, on the Icon Naming Spec as well. I've basically been
moving forward with it, based on actual work and feedback from users,
rather than the developers, and it's still going fairly well. I'll be
making a few more changes soon, and updating it to 0.7 as well.
Although, it would still be nice if more people could review/implement
the spec, and provide more feedback. If we just wait around for review
for too much longer, it's going to be getting old quick. But if nobody's
complaining, I think it's good to go ahead with it.

> I'm pretty sure there are types where this will be useful. Whether its
> useful for images is a later discussion.

Agreed. Let's do it, and we can deal with whatever small issues, and
determining what types and names to use, when we can get it used in the
desktops. This will help a lot with the naming spec stuff, and getting
GNOME migrated, and moving forward with icon theming.

Thanks again for the work on this.

-- dobey