Request for clarification on menu/file spec

Stanislav Brabec sbrabec at suse.cz
Wed Feb 8 12:41:07 EET 2006

Kevin Krammer wrote:

> Unfortunately there is no standard way to add additional prefixes, autopackage
> suffers from this as well

Yes. But there is a nearly distribution-wide way to use /etc/profile.d
(Gentoo has also /etc/env.d).

> As far as I understand an installer cannot even rely on /usr/local being a
> fully accepted prefix and I think that's the default for autoconf/make uses.

We have tried to accept /usr/local as much as possible. If you define
following variables and extend following files, you can place
to /usr/local and /opt/myprefix nearly everything.
PATH
INFODIR
INFOPATH
MANPATH
PKG_CONFIG_PATH
XDG_CONFIG_DIRS
XDG_DATA_DIRS
GTK_PATH
GNOME2_PATH
/etc/ld.so.conf
/usr/share/aclocal/dirlist

FHS seems to lack /usr/local/etc, or /etc/local. We are
using /usr/local/etc, which is the default of configure without
arguments.

OT:
In past I have tried to write something like prefix manager - scripts
for managing prefixes using one central file - /etc/prefixes, standard
autoconf pathspec - $prefix/etc/config.site or $prefix/share/config.site
and add-on.prefix configuration.

http://ftp.penguin.cz/pub/users/utx/build/build-0.09.tar.gz
"find -name '*prefix*'" there
Part of (dead) OSBuilder project: http://www.penguin.cz/~utx/osbuilder

--
Best Regards / S pozdravem,

Stanislav Brabec
software developer
SuSE CR, s. r. o.                             e-mail: sbrabec at suse.cz
Drahobejlova 27                               tel: +420 296 542 382
190 00 Praha 9                                fax: +420 296 542 374
Czech Republic                                http://www.suse.cz/