KDE/Gnome inconsistency in associations

Rodney Dawes dobey at novell.com
Fri Jan 6 20:34:51 EET 2006

If you replace the & with an underscore _ character, do you get the
exact opposite problem, and the accelerator is set in GNOME? If so,
I'd say they are both broken. The problem is that in GTK+, _ is used
to specify an accelerator, and in QT, a & is used. So, when you
create a menu item with the special character, it gets misinterpreted.

This is really a per-toolkit problem, I suspect. If the special
character were ^, the same problem would presumably still exist, were
you to put it in the name string. I would test that GNOME isn't broken
when using _ also though, first.

If so, you need to file bugs against both menu implementations, I
suppose. Perhaps the spec also needs to say that the strings need to
be escaped somehow.

-- dobey